Review: Remote HD app
Remote HD is an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch application that gives you complete access to your Mac/PC/AppleTV as well as supplying rich controls for media playback and running presentations. Love to heare what you guys things..
Remote HD works like an Apple Remote, and it can do more:
- Provides a wireless remote, wireless keyboard, mouse, trackpad for your PC.
- Automatically changes remote's layouts based on active application - specially designed for Mac home theater.
- Audio Streaming from your Mac.
- Super fast VNC like access to your remote computer.
- Launch, switch and even quit applications running on your Mac.
- Spotlight integration - search and launch items on your Mac.
- Access your Mac or PC over the internet (WiFi, 3G, EDGE, GPRS).
(after a few days of use)
Remote HD has a very slick graphic user interface along with a good amount of function. Works well however their are a few things you should know. First you have to install a server-side application they call it "Remote helper". Remote HD does not support VNC or RDC at all. It would be nice if they support these protocols even if they had limmited features. Secondly they advertize Remote HD to be like Apples Remote app but you can only use this feature if you have a jailbroken AppleTV (I was unaware of this but it was on there website). Also if you plan on connecting to your desktop to watch video, Video is choppy at times and audio is off sync. Also note the audio on your iPad is linked to audio of your desktop so if you pump the audio on the iPad it will be pumping on your desktop as well. Tested this using hulu website and a podcast in iTunes with same results.
It's hard to say this app is for the average joe the fact there is a server-side application to install and the need to jailbreak there AppleTV. I also do not see any IT professionals using this app seeing that basic protocols are not supported this we be for home use only. I myself plan to continue using apples remote for controlling my AppleTV and iTeleport or Screens for VNC connections.